Thursday, August 7, 2014

Kerrville to Q

07 August 2014

The landscape rapidly changes from Kerrville westward to my AlbuQ (Albuquerque) destination. From the lush Guadalupe River to the parched Rio Grande.



 







 

 It is threatening, chilling, baffling as one wonders how in such dryness anything can survive. It is magnificence in it harshness, its beauty. Life does exist here in all forms.  My adrenalin flows with anticipation and danger, as my eyes wander to the landscape and off the highway with passing cars... a close call a few times, as I quickly pull over for another photo...



 
A human oasis, irrigated farms amongst it all.
 
 
 
Geological layers of white stone exposed by highway construction looking, in many places, as if they were stacked piles of ancient manuscripts.
 
 
Further on, as the large lust forests diminish and the soil surfaces crack from more dehydration we see the rivers of sand, waiting for more rain fall. There is a poignant beauty to it all
 





And a deep sadness at the inevitable reality of life and death on the "Highway Fields Forever"



 

 
 
 


 

T H R I L L I N G
 
 
As I neared my destination, I was reminded of those old Clint Eastwood spaghetti Westerns and "Boot Hill". Not funny, I know! But, there is a certain chuckle in my belly with this modern day Boot Hill, where marble/stone headstones and plastic flowers have replaced two pieces of wood, tied together with a piece of rope or leather
 

 
Finally, I had to display my natural rebellious constitution by taking a poke are a useless law by standing where everyone is told not to stand!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment