Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Kerville Texas and the Devil

5 August 2014

This morning I woke in this Kerrville Rest Area, with the sound of a big eighteen wheeler hugging my back bumper with it engine growling away. They never turn those machines off.... 'cause it is either too hot or two cold outside and those truckers need to sleep... sometime "play a bit" with their dog, inside their temperature controlled apartments.

Outside, I checked the entire area. Meisha was not around.

I want to change the title of my Blogg to: Shake Mr. Scratch off.  The use of "Devil" is way too rhetorical and pejorative and not very intriguing and also tied to Christianity. I do not wish to imply such a limited, simple view of the forces of darkness upon humanity and besides... there is simply no intelligence or humor associated with that tedious institutional reference.

A little Wikipedia research directed me to a wonderful short story by, Stephen Vincent Benet titled: The Devil and Daniel Webster, published in The Saturday Evening Post in 1936 providing a fascinating character called, Mr.  Scratch (representing the devil). Even that short Wikipedia synopsis creates an intriguing and compelling character insight into the complexity and ambiguity of the devil in the human society. It is impossible to refute an argument against Mr. Scratch and his relevance. It even challenges my own biases and bigotry while giving a feeling of lightness and new anticipation for my journey ahead.

The only problem I have figuring out, with my limited digital knowledge, is how to edit my title. And it is time I moved from this Kerrville Starbuck's seat overlooking the beautiful Quadalupe  River before I am booted out. My $7.49 rent time... bagel, banana bread and tea and three hours of internet time has probably exhausted my good will. But, let me say one last thing. Thought a corporate giant, Starbucks does provide great internet connection and is /environmentally and does not pressure its patrons to move on. A lot of young people hang out here and as far away as Canada
  


That is my white van down there in the parking lot.

Ciao, chow for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment